- Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities:
- Long-Term Acute Care:
- Skilled Nursing Facilities:
- Outpatient Facilities:
- Boston - Downtown Crossing
Gloucester - Cape
- Lexington - Pediatrics
Complex Medical Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation is always challenging, but in certain situations it can be especially demanding—for both you and your family. Multiple medical diagnoses can mean a long, complicated road to getting your life back in order. That’s where the Complex Medical Rehabilitation Programs of the Spaulding Rehabilitation Network come in.
The Complex Medical Rehabilitation Programs are designed for patients with conditions that may include:
- Heart and lung disease
- Kidney disease
- Complex infections
- Metabolic imbalance
- Wound care
- Post-surgical complications
- Multisystem failure
The Spaulding Network offers expert care for the full continuum of needs from inpatient rehabilitation to outpatient follow-up care. At every stage, our goal is to provide you and your family all the knowledge, care and expertise that you need to get your lives back on track.
Approach to Care
As experts in rehabilitative care, our physicians, experienced nurses and therapists offer a broad spectrum of comprehensive services, including:
- Physician-led, interdisciplinary medical management
- Access to a wide range of medical specialists, diagnostic tests and treatment technologies
- Specialized nursing care by nurses with advanced training and experience
- Customized physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapy
- Social services and case management to coordinate complex discharge planning needs
- Extensive training for patients and their families, including overnight stays as needed
- Psychological and pastoral support for coping and adjustment
- Recreational therapies as indicated
- Individualized nutritional counseling and education
- Specialized recuperative areas, including advanced simulation environments and the region’s only Inspiration Garden.
Our program also assists you if you have difficulties with poor endurance, weakness, pain, altered nutritional needs and complex self-care problems. Additional admission criteria may include but are not limited to:
- Multiple medical diagnoses that have had a prolonged or challenging hospital course
- Surgeries with post-operative complications
- Need for daily medical management
- Combination of medical management and rehabilitation services
Our goal is to work closely with you and your family to create a treatment plan that will help achieve the highest level of function as quickly as possible. Not every patient will need treatment in our complex medical rehabilitation programs. But for those who do, we promise to provide you and your family all the knowledge, care and expertise that you need to get your lives back on track.
Our team consists of physicians, rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, respiratory therapists, psychologists, social workers, case managers, dieticians and recreational therapists collaborating on each patient’s case to ensure maximum recovery.
Our LTAC (will have link to explain term) facilities provide 24/7 in-house physician coverage, and have robust access to a comprehensive array to medical consultative specialists from major academic medical centers. Our LTAC hospital Complex Medical Programs are managed by physicians board-certified in Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM). Rehabilitation patients in our LTAC (will have link to explain term) facilities are also co-managed by Physiatrists (will have link to Physiatry page).
All Spaulding Network facilities are accredited by the Joint Commission. Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston and Spaulding Hospital North Shore are accredited by CARF for Comprehensive Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation programs.
Spaulding Rehabilitation Network is participating on a national level with government and professional associations on health policy and reform studies.
The Spaulding Network is participating in a pilot project with CMS to develop a post-acute care assessment tool.
AHA LTAC Workgroup
The Spaulding Network is participating in a pilot project with the American Hospital Association (AHA) to develop admission criteria for LTAC hospitals.
Directed by Dr. Charles Pu, MD, CMD, Chief Medical Officer at Spaulding Hospital North Shore, the Complex Medical Program provides patients with a full spectrum of on-site services to treat their medical needs. In Cambridge, Dr. Jonathon Schwartz, MD, Medical Director of Spaulding Hospital Cambridge oversees patient care. Dr. Terrence O’Malley, Medical Director of Non-Acute Services for Partners Continuing Care works to assure patients achieve the best possible outcome.
Complex Medical Rehabilitation Programs are available at these Spaulding locations:
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Cape Cod
Spaulding Hospital Cambridge
Spaulding Hospital North Shore
Spaulding Nursing and Therapy Center North End
Spaulding Nursing and Therapy Center West Roxbury
The following services are related to the Complex Medical Rehabilitation Programs at the Spaulding Network.